Friday 13 April 2007

Cake Rescue!

Since I'm not in Japan for the long term, I've been making do with my trusty toaster oven. Which means when I try to bake a Lemon Yogurt Cake, I end up with something like this:

Lemon Cake One

It's so sad standing by while the mouthwatering lemon-sugary scents that have wafted through the apartment are gradually overtaken by the smell of burning. Yet all is not lost. Simply cut off the top of the cake:

Lemon Cake Two

Scoop out the delicious insides of the charred lid (for quality control, of course) and discard the charcoal. Flip and.....

Happy Birthday Bryn

No one will be any the wiser.

Happy Birthday Bryn! Hope the day is as much fun as your party was.

(By the way, the cake was fantastically lemony and moist, and very simple to make. I had concerns about the lemon juice and sugar 'glaze' making the cake soggy, so I only used half of it, but it gave it a real zing and wasn't soggy at all. Highly recommended.)

No comments: